|Starts:||04/27/2014 - 5:00pm|
|Ends:||04/27/2014 - 8:00pm|
In partnership with the Westland Public Library, the Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) will be hosting a free, one-step naturalization clinic on Sunday, April 27, 2014 at the Westland Public Library, 6123 Central City Parkway, Westland, MI 48185. Flyers below.
|**Please note that this will be the final workshop using the 10-page N-400 application. All future workshops and appointments will use the new, 21-page N-400.**|
Volunteer attorneys will screen participants for naturalization eligibility, assist in completing the paperwork, assemble the applications with supporting documentation, and provide referrals and materials for the civics component of the exam. Advice and assistance is free to participants who qualify for the clinic.
Besides being able to vote and get a U.S. passport, citizenship provides numerous other benefits. U.S. citizens
- Can petition for more categories of family members from abroad to join them in the United States,
- Can travel abroad for extended periods of time without consequences to U.S. citizenship status,
- Can have their permanent resident children under 18 years old automatically derive citizenship,
- Are safe from deportation and removal,
- Receive certain preferential tax treatment over non-citizens,
- Be eligible for certain social security assistance, like SSI,
- And so much more.
You may be eligible for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for five years, or, just three years if you are also married to a U.S. citizen. You may be exempt from the English requirement if you are 50 years of age or older, depending on how long you have been a permanent resident.
Though the workshop is free, USCIS does charge $680 to process the application. You may qualify for a fee waiver for the application. Call to discuss. .
Advance registration is required.
To sign up for an appointment, please call (734) 998-6100 x459 or online at http://bit.ly/11gFzNe
We will have Spanish-speaking attorneys and interpreters available.