|Starts:||07/08/2013 - 10:00pm|
|Ends:||07/09/2013 - 1:00am|
In partnership with Faith Lutheran Church, the Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) will be hosting a free, one-step naturalization workshop on Monday, July 8, 2013 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM at 37635 Dequindre Road, Troy, MI 48083
Volunteer attorneys, accredited representatives, and law students will screen applicants for naturalization eligibility, assist in completing the paperwork, assemble the applications with supporting documentation, and provide referrals and materials for the civics component of the exam. Advice and assistance is free to the applicant.
Besides being able to vote and get a U.S. passport, citizenship provides numerous other benefits. U.S. citizens
- Can petition for more categories of family members from abroad to join them in the United States,
- Can travel abroad for extended periods of time without consequences to U.S. citizenship status,
- Can have their permanent resident children under 18 years old automatically derive citizenship,
- Are safe from deportation and removal,
- Receive certain tax benefits,
- And so much more.
You may be eligible for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for five years, or, just three years if you are also married to a U.S. citizen.
Though the workshop is free, USCIS does charge $680 to process the application. You may qualify for a fee waiver for the application. Call to inquire.
Advance registration is strongly encouraged
You can securely register online here or by phone at (734) 998-6100 x459
We will have Arabic- and Spanish-speaking volunteers and interpreters present.
If you are interested in volunteering, we are looking for mono- and bilingual attorneys and non-attorneys. Please contact Ruby Robinson at (734) 998-6100 x158